Naturopathic medicine is a comprehensive, effective, and gentle system of medicine that combines the science of conventional medicine with the wisdom of natural and energetic medicines. With its long history and roots from around the world, naturopathic medicine is a rich, creative and holistic approach to health care. Similar to a conventional medical doctor, we perform physical exams, order lab work and diagnostic imaging, make a diagnosis and prescribe pharmaceutical drugs. The combination of conventional medical training and a plethora of natural healing tools makes us a great addition to your health care team.
As naturopathic doctors, we utilize several modalities, including:
- Botanical Medicine (Herbs)
- Clinical nutrition
- Lifestyle counseling
Naturopathic medicine is based on 6 philosophical tenets:
1. First, do no harm. Naturopathic physicians use safe & effective natural medicine.
2. The healing power of nature. Naturopathic physicians recognize that we all have the innate ability to heal ourselves. It is the job of the doctor to support and counsel the patient throughout the healing process.
3. Treat the whole person. Naturopathic physicians know that a symptom reflects a deeper problem or process. We look at the whole picture and treat the person, not the symptoms.
4. Identify and treat the cause. Naturopathic physicians recognize that in order to effectively treat someone, we must first identify the deeper cause of the problem. We diagnose the problem, and then we ask “Why does he/she have this problem?”
5. Doctor as teacher. Education is crucial to the healing journey. Naturopathic physicians spend much of each visit educating patients and empowering them to heal themselves.
6. Prevention. The best medicine is to prevent disease from occurring by proactively treating mild symptoms, optimizing health through lifestyle changes, and recognizing risk factors.
For more information on Naturopathic Medicine, please contact us! We are happy to answer your questions.