Chinese medicine is an ancient system of medicine that focuses on balancing, tonifying and calming energy throughout the body. Practitioners of Chinese medicine use the patient’s history along with tongue and pulse diagnosis to establish a Chinese medicine diagnosis. This diagnosis correlates with the patient’s conventional diagnosis and is used to create an individualized treatment plan. Chinese medicine can be used to address any health concern or disease in an effective and gentle fashion. A typical visit includes a brief chat with the doctor, taking the pulse and observing the tongue and a 30-minute acupuncture session. This session may also include moxibustion, cupping and bodywork. At the end of the session, if needed, you will be sent home with a prescription for a Chinese herbal formula. Treatment frequency varies, from 1-2 x/week to a few times a year.
Chinese medicine includes several modalities, including:
- Acupuncture is a technique that involves inserting needles into acupuncture points all over the body. This technique serves to balance, build and calm energy.
- The needles are very thin. They are much thinner than needles used for blood draws and injections, and they are not painful to insert!
- The sensation ranges from no feeling to a mild pulling/ache sensation and is rarely uncomfortable. *All needles are disposable and sterile.
- Most people feel relaxed and/or sleepy during the treatment. It is common to take a nap while the needles are in.
- The effects of acupuncture tend to have an accumulative effect, lasting longer & longer after each session.
- Acupuncture is SAFE!
Chinese Herbal Medicine
- Chinese herbal formulas are amazingly effective, fast acting and safe.
- At Bloom Natural Healthcare, we only use pharmacies that dispense reputable brands of herbs. The herbal companies we use carefully pick the sources for their herbs and test them stringently for contamination.
- You can take Chinese herbs in several forms: Bulk teas, powders, tinctures and pills. The most important thing is that we choose a form that will work for you.
- Cupping is a technique that involves suctioning glass “cups” to your back. Sound weird? Well, it is! And it works!
- This technique can help resolve several conditions. We mainly use it to treat musculoskeletal pain.
- Cupping is SAFE!
- Moxibustion is a technique that involves burning mugwort (an herb) over certain acupuncture points.
- The fire does not touch the skin, but serves to warm the acupuncture points.
- This technique is warming and nourishing to the acupuncture channels. It helps build and tonify a person’s system. And it feels great!
- Moxibustion is SAFE!
For more information on Chinese Medicine, please contact us! We are happy to answer your questions.